If I were Howard Dean's speechwriter.
There is a word in the English language that seems to be perfect for the state of affairs in America today. Its first, and probably most common meaning is someone who starts the movies after the commercials for Toyota or Mountain Dew are over. The other meaning is someone who takes his or wher faults and attributes them to someone else.
The word I'm referring to is "projectionist."
And that, my friends, is exactly what I believe the Republican leaders are. Projectionsists. See, they keep telling us liberals and Democrats that we are ruining the country, that we are helping our enemies destroy us, that we cannot be trusted to lead. They keep telling us that we are soft. That we are weak. That we are spineless.
But that is exactly what I am trying to put to rest. I am tired of liberals being scared to stand up for what they believe in. I am tired of reactionary, right-wing zealots telling us what we can and can't think, what we can and can't do in our free time, and what we can and can't say in our public institutions.
I'm tired of hearing every week that some big corporation is laying off 5,000, 10,000, 15,000 people. I'm tired of people losing their jobs, and not being able to feed their families. I'm tired of that not being the single biggest focus in American politics. But for the past 7 years, the trivial things, the things that don't matter to anyone, have garnered the spotlight. That ends now. Starting now, we will set the agenda in American politics. Not them, anymore. Ever again.
I am a fighter. And I will not lay down and cry when I get pushed. I will push back. And I will push back harder, until I win.
I'm doing this not for the people in Washington, D.C. who can get on TV nearly any time they wish and talk. I'm doing this for the people in the cities across America who have no voice. I'm standing up for you. I'm standing up and saying what people like David Ellefsen in Chicago are trying to say.
And I'm going to say and do things we as liberals and Democrats should have been saying and doing for years, but for some reason couldn't find the will to. I am going to energize my base again. George Bush and Karl Rove have been lauded in the media for doing just that, yet I am getting villified. I will not stand for that anymore. I will not stand idly by and watch as news reports that tell the truth about Republicans are shrugged off as "liberal media nonsense", while the exact same media scrutinize everything Democrats say in public. I am going to do everything I have to to get you excited to be part of the Democratic Party, not disillusioned and irritated by it. That's what I was elected to do.
Starting today, I am going to meet with Democratic leaders around the country and reform the message of the Democratic party. We are going to once again start listening to your problems, and provide solutions. We are going to talk to you. Not provide lip service to the issues you care about. We are going to drive home the platform of the Democratic party. We are going to be honest about the state of affairs in this nation today. We are going to show America a united front. And we are going to win.
The word I'm referring to is "projectionist."
And that, my friends, is exactly what I believe the Republican leaders are. Projectionsists. See, they keep telling us liberals and Democrats that we are ruining the country, that we are helping our enemies destroy us, that we cannot be trusted to lead. They keep telling us that we are soft. That we are weak. That we are spineless.
But that is exactly what I am trying to put to rest. I am tired of liberals being scared to stand up for what they believe in. I am tired of reactionary, right-wing zealots telling us what we can and can't think, what we can and can't do in our free time, and what we can and can't say in our public institutions.
I'm tired of hearing every week that some big corporation is laying off 5,000, 10,000, 15,000 people. I'm tired of people losing their jobs, and not being able to feed their families. I'm tired of that not being the single biggest focus in American politics. But for the past 7 years, the trivial things, the things that don't matter to anyone, have garnered the spotlight. That ends now. Starting now, we will set the agenda in American politics. Not them, anymore. Ever again.
I am a fighter. And I will not lay down and cry when I get pushed. I will push back. And I will push back harder, until I win.
I'm doing this not for the people in Washington, D.C. who can get on TV nearly any time they wish and talk. I'm doing this for the people in the cities across America who have no voice. I'm standing up for you. I'm standing up and saying what people like David Ellefsen in Chicago are trying to say.
And I'm going to say and do things we as liberals and Democrats should have been saying and doing for years, but for some reason couldn't find the will to. I am going to energize my base again. George Bush and Karl Rove have been lauded in the media for doing just that, yet I am getting villified. I will not stand for that anymore. I will not stand idly by and watch as news reports that tell the truth about Republicans are shrugged off as "liberal media nonsense", while the exact same media scrutinize everything Democrats say in public. I am going to do everything I have to to get you excited to be part of the Democratic Party, not disillusioned and irritated by it. That's what I was elected to do.
Starting today, I am going to meet with Democratic leaders around the country and reform the message of the Democratic party. We are going to once again start listening to your problems, and provide solutions. We are going to talk to you. Not provide lip service to the issues you care about. We are going to drive home the platform of the Democratic party. We are going to be honest about the state of affairs in this nation today. We are going to show America a united front. And we are going to win.

0 Comments:
Post a Comment
<< Home